While traveling to another country to study can be a wonderful and exciting experience, exposure to a new culture and lack of familiarity with local behaviors and customs can complicate the process of adjusting to university life and achieving academic goals.
In order to assist international students with their transition, the International Student Services Office, in collaboration with Counseling and Student Support Services, has created Tea and Talk.
Tea and Talk is a space for both international and American SCAD students to network, exchange culture and gain support from one another.
Tea and Talk hour is held each Friday from 1-2p.m. in Habersham Hall. During the hour together, students engage in cultural activities and games as well as discuss topics that interest them. Here are some topics that we may discuss:
- Making Friends/Social Networking
- Roommate Issues
- Cultural adjustment in and out of the classroom
- Time management
- Building self confidence
- Language barriers
- Feeling connected to family and friends abroad
- Using existing SCAD resources
- Anything else students would like to discuss regarding their transition to college life in the U.S.