At SCAD Swing Club our members are always traveling to different cities to improve their dancing and learn new things. Well, this time, SCAD Swing Club is bringing the lessons to Savannah! We will have SCAD alumnus and dance instructor Mead McLean here to teach 5 incredible lessons that are sure to improve your dancing!
Join the Savannah College of Art and Design for their very first mini-exchange weekend: Swing-Out Savannah! Lessons from SCAD alum and swing dancer extraordinaire Mead McLean. Dances on Friday and Saturday nights! And a picnic in the park on Sunday afternoon. All for one low price of $15 (and FREE for SCAD students)!
REGISTER for the event at: http://swingoutsavannah.eventbrite.com/
Free for SCAD Students (register with your SCAD email)
Only $15 for everyone else!!
HOUSING is limited for out-of-towners, first come, first served.Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for housing while it’s still available.
- 9-10pm Lesson w/ Mead McLean at Weston Lobby: 231 W. Boundary St. Savannah, GA 31401
Easy & Flashy 8 Count Moves. Kick the weekend off with some simple 8-count moves to get you comfortable thinking in numbers higher than 6. We’ll go over what makes a basic move look totally awe-inspiring and begin to use the four 8-count structure of swing music in both solo and partner dancing.
- 10pm-midnight Main Dance @ Weston Lobby: 231 W. Boundary St. Savannah, GA 31401
- 1am – 4am Late Night Welcome Party @ 110 W. 34th St, Savannah, GA 31401
- 1:00-5:30pm Lessons w/ Mead McLean @ Weston Lobby: 231 W. Boundary St. Savannah, GA 31401
- 1-2pm DIY Dance Moves.
We’ll go over some ideas for leaders and followers to create new flavors of Lindy Hop and solo jazz by subtracting from and adding to your current set of movements. We’ll create a whole new range of moves using just a couple of basic ideas.
- 2:10-3:10pm On Music and Musicality.
We’ll listen to some music, look at the sheet music that the musicians are playing from, and see how we can take advantage of the common structures in the music. This will help you decide where to put that awesome move and where to put something simple and basic. And yes, we will apply this knowledge directly to your dancing. You won’t hear music the same way after this class.
- 3:20-4:20pm Technique and Freedom.
We’ll go through some exercises to explore the ways that technique can help you become more free in your dancing. We’ll talk about when and why to get technical and when and how to throw it out the window and just Dance.
- 4:30-5:30pm Lindy Hop Classics.
This one’s all about building up a vocabulary of awesome moves. We’ll throw in some old school moves and some new-school classics, too.
- 8pm-midnight Main Dance @ SCAD Student Center: 120 Montgomery St, Savannah, GA 31401
- 1am – 4am Late Night Dance @ Weston Lobby: 231 W. Boundary St. Savannah, GA 31401
- As scheduled Private lessons w/ Mead McLean
- 1-3pm Picnic in Forsyth Park
We’ll see you on the dance floor!