What I pulled out of my critique was that my design looked unfinished, and was not very creative and could have been better. It did not help progress me as an artist at all.
This is my final design for the map project. I had fun destroying the map, but I had a very hard time coming up with something to make the map out of.
We had to go out and photograph the ABC’s and the numbers 1-9 out in the environment. Here are the pictures that I took.
Our task for the sound exploration was to sit for an hour and listen to the sounds that were happening around us. When I did this I heard lots of birds, people, cars and many other sounds. I decided to write a haiku based on the sounds I heard.
This is our design for the Jack and Jill project. I think that my group did well in collaborating to put this together. We all did work to make this work. I feel like we all had our voice heard and contributed to the story and the design.
Our assignment was to look for blogs and find ones that were interesting to us. One blog I found was about game design and development. It talks about the field of game design and gives ways to help aspiring game designers get into the field.
The second blog I found has posts about many aspects of the game field. There are posts about how to improve games and news about new events happening in the field.
This next blog I found is interesting because the author talks about how games can change the lives of gamers. She talks about how she makes games that have an impact on the person or the world. They try to better the person or try to make the world better.
The blogs that I will read have to be easily accessible. Some blogs have too many words on the page and I just skim over it or ignore it because there is too much. If they are split up into categories than it makes it easier to follow. It was pretty easy to find blogs about game design and development.
The goal of this exploration was to visually represent six different words using only a black square. These words are order, playful, tension, bold, increase, and congested.
I started my process with coming up with different shapes to use for a motif.
I chose the motif with the square and the pentagon.
These are my five pattern ideas. I went with the first pattern.
Here are my three inking patterns. I went with the first pattern.
Here is my final design.
some things I picked up from the critique includes:
- move focal points away from the center
- keep improving craftsmanship
- motif not present
- more variety
Thoughts about process
I did not have a pleasant time working on this project. It was hard for me to come up with a good motif and the one I eventually used was not a very good one. I just could not come up with any creative patterns with this motif and I probably should have gone with a different one.