Hey artists’ books fans! Don’t forget that SCAD’s Third Annual Artists’ Book Symposium, “Variant Hues”, takes place this weekend at SCAD-Atlanta’s ACA Library. There are student workshops with visiting artist Macy Chadwick as well as great publications to be seen from Vamp and Tramp, purveyors of artists’ books and fine/ small press editions. Events run all day on both Friday, March 12 and Saturday, March 13.
While you’re enjoying the symposium, be sure to visit Trois Gallery for “No Translation Required: Artists’ Books in Germany and Georgia“. This exhibit represents a collaboration between SCAD, the University of the Arts, Braunschweig, Germany, and the Klingspor Museum, Offenbach, Germany. It showcases selections of the best contemporary book art in each country. It will be on view through April 16th.
And if you’re not able to make it to Atlanta, Jen Library has plenty of materials on handmade and artists’ books. Whether you want to view an original, gain research or inspirational information, or make your own, there’s lots to explore! Here are a few individual titles to get you started:
- The Century of Artists Books - N7433.3 .D78 2004
- Cuban Artists Books and Prints – N7433.35.C9 C83 2009
- Eye on Europe: Prints, Books and Multiples, 1960 to Now – NC225 .W93 2006
- Non-Adhesive Binding – Z 271 .S66 1992
- Books, Boxes and Portfolios – Z271 .Z4413 1990
- Artists’ Multiples, 1935 – 2000 – N6494.M8 B87 2001