If you will be in Atlanta at the end of the month, check out this super-cool event, organized in part by the SCAD-Atlanta Library:
SCAD Atlanta’s 4th Annual Artist’s Book Symposium
Join scholars, artists, and students at SCAD Atlanta for a symposium devoted to the study of artists’ books March 31st and April 1st, 2011.
Thursday March 31st:
- 6pm Reception
- 6:30pm Artist’s talk by German artist Anton Würth – http://www.antonwuerth.de/
Friday April 1st:
- 3:30pm: Reception
- 4pm: Panel discussion: Business Strategies of Professional Artists with Carolee Campbell, Anton Würth, and Brian Dettmer
- 5pm: Juror Brian Dettmer Announces Student Artist’s Book Competition Awards
- 5:30pm: Artist’s Process Talk by Brian Dettmer – http://briandettmer.com/
- 6pm: Carolee Campbell: Ninja Press: 25 Years & Counting – http://www.ninjapressbooks.com/history.html
The symposium is free and open to the public; for information email mmurphy(at)scad(dot)edu
All events take place in Trois Gallery on the 4th floor in the ACA Library of SCAD Atlanta. (Check out their blog for additional interesting library news.)
ACA Library of SCAD
1600 Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
Do you like:
- Cool and unusual animation memorabilia giveaways?
- Fabulous stress-relief raffle prizes?
- Mass amounts of free sugary goodness?
- Looking at original books, artworks and rare materials not seen ANYWHERE else?
- Incredible images, graphic novels and library resources that ANY student can use?
If so, come to Jen Library’s Spring open house next week. Students, staff, and faculty are welcome to visit us on Wednesday, May 5, from 3:00 – 7:00 PM .
This casual and open even is a great opportunity to learn more about Library collections and services, especially those for Illustration, Sequential Art and Animation Majors. Drop in anytime during the event! Expect to see:
- Highlights from the Don Bluth collection, such as original cels, background paintings and character drawings
- ANIM, SEQA and ILLU images from our digital collections, and demos on how to access and use these for your projects
- Original artists books, comics, and other unique treasures
- The best of our ever-expanding graphic novels collection
- Magazines and journals that are perfect for learning about of cool artists and news in your field
- Friendly librarians, Writers Studio, and Learning Resource Hive staff
- Candy, prizes, and giveaways galore
No RSVP needed: just drop in. See you in there!
Hey artists’ books fans! Don’t forget that SCAD’s Third Annual Artists’ Book Symposium, “Variant Hues”, takes place this weekend at SCAD-Atlanta’s ACA Library. There are student workshops with visiting artist Macy Chadwick as well as great publications to be seen from Vamp and Tramp, purveyors of artists’ books and fine/ small press editions. Events run all day on both Friday, March 12 and Saturday, March 13.
While you’re enjoying the symposium, be sure to visit Trois Gallery for “No Translation Required: Artists’ Books in Germany and Georgia“. This exhibit represents a collaboration between SCAD, the University of the Arts, Braunschweig, Germany, and the Klingspor Museum, Offenbach, Germany. It showcases selections of the best contemporary book art in each country. It will be on view through April 16th.
And if you’re not able to make it to Atlanta, Jen Library has plenty of materials on handmade and artists’ books. Whether you want to view an original, gain research or inspirational information, or make your own, there’s lots to explore! Here are a few individual titles to get you started:
- The Century of Artists Books - N7433.3 .D78 2004
- Cuban Artists Books and Prints – N7433.35.C9 C83 2009
- Eye on Europe: Prints, Books and Multiples, 1960 to Now – NC225 .W93 2006
- Non-Adhesive Binding – Z 271 .S66 1992
- Books, Boxes and Portfolios – Z271 .Z4413 1990
- Artists’ Multiples, 1935 – 2000 – N6494.M8 B87 2001