After completing 25 thumbanil sketches for each of the 4 different types of design, these are the four completed pieces I chose to construct with the bristol paper…….
I chose my horiztonal/vertical final piece because, to me, it seemed to create sound. The diagonal piece I chose because it seemed to depict movement in two different directions. Like the lines were gracefully moving towards the ends of the page. For the curved lines I actually didn’t choose one…I started placing curved lines on the white paper and played with it until I found something I liked. I didn’t like any of the original curved line sketches I came up with but I chose the pattern I did because at first it looked like a flower blooming, as I added additional lines though the flower disappeared and the remaining lines almost look like bubbles. The last one that included all the line types was chosen because it reminded me of an abstract spider web.
During critique my pieces weren’t mentioned but as Mrs. Waldvogel said, my craftsmanship needed some work. After analyzing the four pieces I decided to redesign the one using at least one horizontal/vertical, one diagonal, and one curved line. I chose this one because I didn’t find any creative issues with my pieces, they weren’t the best and they weren’t the worst but this piece in particular was very poorly executed. The curved lines were very hard to cut out correctly and I was trying to finish it quickly. This time i went back and really took my time and paid close attention to detail and made sure to leave no stray marks. I also focused on making my lines more unified in size, so some weren’t too thin and others too thick. Below is the first design (left) and the re-design(right).