This is the final piece that my group and I did for the Jack & Jill Project. We struggled a lot with a lack of communication between the group members- this made our project not look like what we had originally intended and ultimately dropped our grade. Although things did not work out as planned, we learned from the experience and will be able to use these lessons in future group assignments throughout our college careers. Andrew, Brian, and Kerwin were in charge of drawing the pictures- I was in charge of inking them and putting them together on the board. After the critique, we decided to take our project home and work on it some more to turn it in with a late grade. If we had not done this our grade would have suffered even more severely.
This is what the map looked like when I was done messing with it. I put eye drops on it, spit on it, used watercolors on it, and cut it up so that it would wrap around and an old can that I found. I came across the idea for my final project while laying in room one day staring at the map I had purchased. I would look at the number key on the side of the map and find its corresponding number to see where a certain piece of buried treasure apparently lies. Because the numbers where very small and scattered, it became somewhat difficult for me to figure out where everything was. At this time, I looked at the bag of cheeze-its I was munching on and looked at the nutrition label on the back. There wasn’t one. Apparently if small packages of food come in a bigger box when you buy them, they put the label on the box and not on the individual packets themselves. As I struggled to locate the cheese-it ingredients, I made the connection between my cheeze-it’s and the map. Both were supposed to be easy to read for the general public but for some reason the manufactures did not make it that way. I put the map on a soup can to show that looking for the nutrition information and ingredients for packaged food can be as difficult as reading a map.
I put strips of paper inside the can so that on one side of the strip there is a number and on the other side (which is inside the can out of sight) is an example of a popular chemical that is found in processed foods. Most of these chemicals are extremely horrible for your body- but children can hardly even pronounce the names of such chemicals let alone know how bad they are for you. My project is supposed to serve as a tool that schools can use to pass around the class room and teach children how to properly read labels and have a better understanding of what they are eating so that they can grow up to live healthy lives as they get older.
This is my ABC 123 Project. I really stuggled when trying to find the letters “k”, “n”, and “z”. I was very surprised to see that it was quite easy for me to find the letter “q” ( I found 3 of them in one day). The numbers were somewhat easier to come across but I did struggle trying to find “4″ and “5″.
Recently, I stumbled upon an interesting blog with a focus on street art. I found the blog interesting because not only did it have pictures of stunning graffiti, but it also contained pictures of street art that I had never been exposed to before. The picture below, which contains a road sign which reads ” Caution! Zombies! Ahead!!!”, really stood out from the others due to its creativity and use in the real-world. I can only imagine how many people drove past that sign and actually thought that zombies were invading. The artist made other signs that contain equally as amusing messages such as “Run for cold climates”, “The end is near!!!”, and “Nazi Zombies! Run!!!”.
The blog can be found at http://www.justseeds.org/blog/street_art_graffiti/
The series of street signs can be found at http://nofearofthefuture.blogspot.com/2009/01/keep-austin-zombie-free.html
I chose this design for the bold black square problem due to the fact that the large black square in the middle is almost as bold as you can get. The smaller circles on the outer corners help make the middle one stick out more. Please refer to the black square images below for information about the quality of this picture.
Once again, I had to take a picture of my piece with a cell phone due to my lack of “tech-savyness”. A proper copy of the design will be uploaded shortly.