It’s time to post my result of our latest project for the Design 1 class!
First of all, we had to choose a simple geometrical shape. Out this first shape, we “cut” out the form of a different, larger geometrical shape, so that we got a completely new motif.
These were my sketches for tat task:
The one I chose was actually the larger one on the left sheet, because I could combine here straight and curved lines, and the motif devided the square pretty good.
Afterwards we had to draw our motif in a grid of squares. We could choose for each area in a square, if we want to leave it white, or turn it black. Outlines were not allowed!
Those are my experimentations for that task:
The same like before, I tried to use both curved an straight lines in many different ways.
I tried to very symmetrical Designs as well as unsymmetrical ones, but I always wanted to keep a certain orderliness. Finally I chose to go on with the last Design, it has a good focal point and a quite very regular structure and it gave me still enough possibilities to vary in our next step.
The next step was to glue those motifs in our favorite Design on a tracing paper. By laying a new sheet of tracing paper above it, we should create inking plans, on which we had to stick to the rules a explained above (black, white, no outlines). Here are my three inking plans:
I tried to avoid to get the Designs too symmetrical, but I still wanted to create a focal point. In the end I decided to do the final part of the project with the upper half of the first Design, because I thought it had a unusual focal point, but I thought it looks a bit too messy. So a just did the upper half of it twice, which looked like this in my final project::
I liked it, because it combined curved an straight lines, which was one of my first goals, and it had this quite different looking focal point in the middle. To finish it completely, a cut of the border like a square, along the 10x10inch grid.
In our critique in class it was criticized, that the black areas of the Design were too bold, the black part in the middle looked like it was enclosed in between the upper and lower half and the craftsmanship could be better in some parts.
That’s quite a lot of information in this post! I hope you like this projects, please leave a comment with your thoughts about my Design(s)!