- First I examine the design challenge. I examine the following questions so I can focus my thoughts and prepare for research. I decide what needs to be said. How it needs to be said and who my audience is. After I determine these questions I try to figure out what medium would be best to translate this idea.
- I used to just go online and look for things. After this class and 702 I have learned that I need to go beyond the Internet to look for ideas. These classes have also helped me to learn how to create concept maps. These concept maps have been very helpful. I am a very organized person and love lists these lists help to organize ideas in my head.
- After I have done my research I reevaluate my design opportunity and make sure that the final solution will best display my design narrative. During this part I use thumbnail sketches to help narrow down my design. After I determine what thumbnails work it revisit them and develop them more until I have a rough sketch of my project.
- Once I have a rough sketch and plan for my design I execute the design opportunity.
- Finally after the project is complete it is time to evaluate. Does this solution answer the design questions? This is the hardest part because you need to do a truthful self-assessment and sometimes that means that you need to go back to your thumbnails sketches.
I think my process is effective, it allows me to create broad ideas then focus in on them. It also allows me to evaluate the final product. However my biggest weakness is my fear. It is what holds me back. This process doesn’t always help me to push ideas further. Having someone help me to push my ideas would be very helpful.