CRITIQUE: First reactions to our final storyboard were well received. Peers seemed to like the use of iconography and comedy that was tastefully intact, (the pointing hands). The yin yang as Jack and Jill was thought to be clever. Some improvements are needed when it comes to line thickness as well as perspective. When we changed the camera viewpoint in panel 6, it may not have read as well. Craftsmanship looks good even with rushed final mounting to black board. Our own group was very happy with the final product.
The Jack and Jill assignment was given as a group project. Our objective was to use various symbols (seen Below) to re-tell the Jack and Jill story. Creating six 8×8 panels to describe each line of the nursery rhyme, the symbols could scale, rotate and interact in anyway. The story could be metaphoric if desired but only those shapes or combination thereof could be used. We were to complete each panel in black and white and mount our final story board (Below).
I personally enjoyed working with a team, exploring ideas with other creative peers. It was fun! I thought we did a great job in sharing, tweaking and working together to accomplish our goal. We hope you enjoy the final story and reading about my process along with the group details.
Here are panels #3 and 4 from Jack and Jill. These were my responsibility, I was happy with the outcome but it truly was a group effort. I received invaluable composition and character development input before completion. Some aspects were my own decision making, such as the placement of the exclamation point over the yin yang.
Below are my graphite pencil outlines before executing the finals. I taped down the tracing paper over carbon copy paper, both layered over my bristol. The carbon paper was very helpful but I did press down much too hard. The carbon DID NOT come off the bristol at all, I was only lucky to be able to cover most of it. I am always concerned about craftsmanship and felt disappointed about this silly mishap. In order to keep the consistency between panels the group decided to scan in the symbols to a computer and trace. I used photoshop with a cintiq, I taped my tracing paper over the screen then scaled and and rotated the objects to fit the composition and proportion.
Overall This was the best part of the whole project; Throwing ideas around the table about how we were going to use these symbols to re-create the Jack and Jill rhyme. A lot of laughter and comradery. It is worth mentioning we got right to work with humor in mind as well as how we would be able to execute it well. All present were involved in the final decision making of the story but it came together with ease. Below are the symbols, circled are the one’s either used or intended to be used. Also I included is the original bear I drew.