For my Final Assignment, I chose to do an open source game called Open Clonk. Open Clonk is an action-strategy type game for PC. For my mod, I changed quite a few things in the script. Firstly, I changed some of the models and graphics. By some of the graphics, I actually mean I changed all of the graphics. I also added some more items to the game, those being the star meteor that crashes down in the beginning and end, and the butterflies and dolphin that appear in the level as well.
The graphics took the longest to change. The background loading screen, for instance, was taken from the original, but that’s all about it that’s the same. I had to accumulate many different assets from the original Robot Unicorn Attack game by Adult Swim. These assets included the infamous unicorn, fairies, stars, rainbows, space, butterflies, and dolphins. Incorporating these all into the mod was definitely a task I tried to undertake, but some parts were more difficult to achieve than others. Just making the graphics themselves took up most of my time- except of course, waiting for the game to compile.
Tileable textures and changing the appearances of everything weren’t the only things added. There were also some components I added to the game play. The two meteors that fall down from the sky in the beginning are the first obvious things I added to the code. I also added dozens and dozens of butterflies that fly throughout the level. I even created another item, the star explosive, that is held in a chest I added (and of course changed the appearance of).
Overall, the skills I learned in the class and the progress I made was so exponential compared to what I previously knew before I took it. Understanding the way things work and realizing that I can easily find other methods of working around my problems I encountered gives me a more a more positive outlook and reassurance that there is almost nothing available now that I could not find a way to work- if I work hard enough to find it.