A Super Nintendo game?!?!?! O__O Yeah I couldn’t decide. Then out of nowhere I’m just fiddling around on my laptop, doing that whole “procrastination” thing that we as college students are known for from time to time, and there it is! I’m playing it! Ninja Senki. Ninja Senki is a game created by Jonathan Lavigne and is very very fun and addicting. It definitely has the same exact feel and graphics as a SNES game as well, so I knew I could do it (or at least try to in the amount of time I had). A link to the game if you’re curious can be found here.
The main character throughout most of the game runs at enemies and shoots ninja stars. There is a jump mechanic as well, and a neat walking action when you scroll left to right. So first off! Ironically I didn’t actually make mine scroll, instead I used a pan to the next background instead to make the game seem a bit more constrained into “segments” for time’s sake. I created a lot of hardships for myself actually when I did this project though, because I ( being myself!) get carried away on the smallest things and will literally devote all of my time to fixing it if I know that I can.
So the character animations were the biggest problem of mine. I started off with one sprite, tried a gazillion different ways to get him to move the way I wanted to, and eventually I just split it up into three separate sprites. The reason I was having trouble with this, mind you, is because of the changing of the outfits from one to another when left and right is pressed. And when I added a lot more costumes to the equation than what I used in the Diglet game, it got a LOT more complicated, especially working in Scratch which for some reason hates costumes and makes it very difficult to access them if you use large quantities on one sprite. So I split them. And lo and behold! It worked. Too bad for me, my tutor Melissa saw what I had done, called me crazy and overworked, and came up with a magical solution to putting them all back together on one sprite. (I should be quick to mention that it only involved changing one number… just my luck). Neat! She (the main character, who I conveniently changed to a girl ;>) doesn’t moonwalk anymore, so that’s great. But she glitches. Not enough to really cause a disturbance though, and Fullscreen in Scratch always makes things work better.
Too bad for me the next problem is the collision. So I look up some scripts in Scratch for collision, and oh my god do they not make sense to me. I also need to add that by this point I am still EXTREMELY sleep deprived, so things that would normally make sense at 5:00 PM at night don’t at 4:00 AM in the morning. So instead I resort to something else. That’s right! I’m going to FAKE it! And by “fake it” I mean the character’s jump is extremely badly coded and I just don’t care because it’s 4:00 in the morning and I need closure. So! Originally I rammed my head for another few hours into a wall because I was just using the sprite of the girl to collide with the objects, and when she hit colors crazy stuff would happen. Probably an hour or two later it finally hits me I can make a ghost block (the only script I actually borrowed from anywhere) to collide with my objects for me. But that’s not the end! Oh no, I added some color collision in there and changed a couple of colors (where I wanted her to jump on the platforms) EVER so slightly, to the point where the black box would JUST touch it and then make the jump to the top.
Since this experience I have become a lot more savy with Scratch and could have avoided a lot more problems now than what I had then, mostly by using the broadcast function a LOT more than I did. But either way, it was a learning experience. I don’t think this one is worth being downloaded though, hahaha. BESIDES, it was only made for INSTRUCTIONAL USE ONLY!! But here’s a few screenshots anyway, haha.