This was the motherlode of the projects we did thus far for me. I had to re-do my grid halfway in because my measurements were wrong (duh!). But it turned out better than I hoped!
Trying to find my shape…
Now onto fitting it into the grid…
Laying out a design..
Whoops… accidentally lost 2 1″ squares, but they were discovered later
Grid and 2″ square, I used only 1″ squares
Tracing to find the right design…
Honestly, the final design was somewhat improvised until the very end. I thought about just taking the grid lines out completely but I thought that took away from the shape.
The feedback I got from the critique was that the focal point was not very clear (bottom right area) which I definitely see. Some people were uneasy about the white “trapezoid” at the top left, but I left it like that to bring the viewer’s eye up and then kind of find that black “trapezoid” at the top center. I understand the critique that it looks unfinished but I really tried to play with it and not make it look uniform or have a distinct pattern. So it might look random but the grid lines served as guidelines (literally). Inking was not too bad, I had a few blotches, but the Xacto knife was not good! Gah! Just gotta keep practicing.