For this Design project we worked in four man groups and were to tell the story of Jack and Jill within six frames using only the following symbols:
Limiting as it sounds, we had the freedom to use only bits and pieces of symbols in order to create more interesting designs.
We began brainstorming and sharing ideas of our individual twists on the story. Eventually we decided to go with the idea where Jack would be a mouse Sultan and Jill would be his right hand camel. Jack and Jill would be traveling through the desert in search of a fresh water source and they would stumble across an oasis with a small pond. The oasis, however, would be protected by an evil elephant who kept the water to himself. Jack and Jill came up with the idea for Jack to try and scare the elephant off (since elephants are supposedly scared of mice) while Jill would drink the water up and store it in her humps. Their plan went downhill as the terrified elephant ended up stomping Jack off the hilltop. Upon hitting the ground, the large ruby would fall from Jack’s turban. The elephant would then turn his attention to Jill and would furiously kick her down after Jack.
We started doing rough sketches and toying with the idea as you can see here:
I unfortunately misplaced most of my rough sketches so I only have this draft image.
Eventually we ended up with this as our final product:
During class critique, everyone seemed to enjoy our pieces as a whole, but their were a few sketchy parts. For instance, it wasn’t very clearly shown that the elephant was startled by Jack and that he kicks Jack down the hill. Also, in the fifth panel it was hard to tell that it was a ruby popping out of the turban.
Working as group went well for the most part. It was fun collaborating ideas and creating conceptual designs together, however I did not feel everyone shared equal weight overall. We had quite a bit of control issues from a group member and I feel our finished project suffered from it. The other groups seemed to successfully display ideas from every group member and it seemed to work in their favor, making them more interesting. Despite these setbacks, I think we were able to do a pretty decent job overall.