January 30, 2013 | Comments Off
Professor Abraham’s Preservation Technology II and Professor Gunther’s Restoration classes continue work this quarter on the restoration of the Harden House. Built in 1892 and designed by architect William Gibbons Preston, the Harden House is an exceptional example of Victorian architecture and one of Savannah’s finest late 19th-century residences. The house has had a variety of owners over the years and was broken up into apartments in the 1960s. Fortunately, most of the original features survived behind later changes, and SCAD students are helping the current owner return the interior spaces to their former grandeur. Throughout the quarter, students will work on glazing wainscotting, designing and restoring friezework, refinishing original parquet floors, and faux finishing woodwork.