COMPETITIONS DEADLINES FAST APPROACHING April 23, 2012Posted by SCAD Fashion Department in : Design Resources , trackback
We have several important competition deadlines coming up very quickly. Please see below for due dates and competition descriptions.
April 23: CFDA/Diet Coke Competition
April 27: American Tanning & Leather Competition
May 1: Belk
May 2: Saga Furs Competition
APRIL 23:CFDA/Diet Coke Competition
DEADLINE IS APPROACHING: Monday, April 23, 2012. (please do not reply to this email with questions; see Prof. Collins)
The Council of Fashion Designers of America is very pleased to present you with an unprecedented opportunity– to create a design for our partner Diet Coke, one of the leading brands in the world, and have that design sold in Target stores across the country later this year.
STAYEXTRAORDINARY Design Challenge Assignment Design an original “extraordinary” graphic element for a t-shirt that makes a statement about Diet Coke and those who drink it Audience Discerning 20-somethings embarking on their adult lives. It’s a generation that’s transitioning into a new chapter of their lives and are determined to leave their mark on the world personally, professionally and socially. They are looking for brands they can connect with, that allow them to express themselves but still provide cultural status.
•Please visit www.DietCokeCFDA.com to download the Diet Coke assets, color & logo style guides
•Incorporate Diet Coke’s color palette: silver, Coke red, black and white.
•Incorporate the Diet Coke Logo (full or cropped)
•The original artwork should be signed by you (include your signature or create a designer logo)
•All original artwork should be submitted to Diet Coke (via FTP site www.DietCokeCFDA.com) as a vector file CMYK (4 color)
•Your original artwork will be printed on the front body of a white t-shirt; you must indicate position/placement and scale when submitting your original artwork (please refer to www.DietCokeCFDA.com for design layout guide)
•All Diet Coke STAYEXTRAORDINARY Design Challenge submissions must be received by Diet Coke no later than End of Day Monday, April 23, 2012.
•All Designs will become the property of Diet Coke Contest The design submissions for the contest will be submitted for judging in three (3) rounds:
•Round 1: All original design submissions will be sent to Diet Coke and the top (20) designs that best answer the design challenge will be selected for Round 2
•Round 2: The top (20) designs will be hosted on a voting site where Diet Coke consumers and Target shoppers, who share your passion for style and fashion, will select the top (10) designs
•Round 3: The top (10) designs will be judged by a panel of leading style and fashion experts, including Members of CFDA, who will select a Grand Prize Winner and (2) Runners-Up.
•The winning original design will be produced on t-shirts and featured for sale in Target stores nationwide (September 2012)
•The winning designer will receive a $10,000 scholarship award for 2012-2013 academic year expenses
•The winning designer will be flown to New York for an exclusive, behind-the-scene experience and private tour with a CFDA Member from the judging panel.
•(2) runners-up will each receive a $2,500 scholarship award each for 2012-2013 academic year expenses
•Top (20) Designers:
•The top (20) designers (excluding Grand Prize Winner and Runners-Up) will each receive a $250 scholarship award for 2012-2013 academic year expenses
• Diet Coke was launched in 1982 with an iconic campaign at Radio City Music Hall, using strong celebrity endorsements to drive excitement and awareness for the brand.
• In the last 30 years, Diet Coke has become a household brand and overtook Pepsi as the #2 beverage brand in the country in 2011.
• In 2010 Diet Coke re-energized the brand with the STAYEXTRAORDINARY campaign to appeal to a new generation of drinkers. Focusing on the Millennial generation showed that Diet Coke is THE brand for the many multi-dimensional and aspirational travelers on the road to success.
• In 2012 the journey to extend the STAYEXTRAORDINARY anthem continues and Diet Coke is partnering with the CFDA and Target to express this message. Target & Diet Coke Partnership Both brands share a unique and aspirational passion for the world of fashion and design. Like Diet Coke, Target has revamped its brand to become a national launching pad for introducing high-end designer fashions to the everyday fashionista. They have recently launched lines for Missoni and Jason Wu, along with previous lines with Isaac Mizrahi and Zac Posen. Background for STAYEXTRAORDINARY STAYEXTRAORDINARY is a campaign that focuses on showing that Diet Coke is more than a drink that hydrates or refreshes. It presents Diet Coke as a stylish drink that helps you stay focused on the pursuit of extraordinary. Diet Coke has always been tied to celebrities and the fashion world, and today it is the sophisticated soda of choice among A-listers, up-and-comers, and game changers. ‘Stay Extraordinary’ is a message that speaks to all young adults and their drive to achieve their passions. Please visit www.DietCokeCFDA.com (username: design | Password: contest) to download the full STAYEXTRAORDINARY brand campaign and inspiration guide which includes: Diet Coke videos, commercials, images and other brand content. (*While Diet Coke is a strong global brand, the STAYEXTRAORDINARY campaign in this country is unique and should not be compared to or confused with any global marketing campaigns *)
APRIL 27th: American Tanning & Leather
American Tanning and Leather Company special project brief
External Contact: Christy Plott Redd, Creative Director and VP of Sales from American Tanning and Leather Co.
American Tanning and Leather Co. processes, tans and sells reptile hides, namely skins of alligator to Gucci, Chanel, Polo Ralph Lauren and Proenza Schouler to name a few. The company is located in Griffin, Georgia (approximately 45 minutes from Atlanta) and both campuses are invited to tour the tannery.
• American Tanning and Leather Co. competition for both Atlanta and Savannah juniors
o DESIGN, CONCEPTUALIZE, and PRODUCE an alligator garment, accessory or home accessory.
o -1 student from each campus will “win” and have their item produced by American Tannery
o Students could design a garment, clutch, day bag, belt, small furniture item, picture frame, pillow, desk accessories, etc.
Internal jury at SCAD to decide the 5 best designs by APRIL 27th to move forward to be judged by Gilles Mendel
Winning design will be produced over the summer by American Tanning. Student winner will be announced in September and design will be unveiled in September.
MAY 1: Belk
Seeking Southern Designers
Belk recently launched a major rebranding campaign and introduced a new logo and tagline:
Modern. Southern. Style. We added more modern brands and updated our selection to deliver on that tagline.
In the spring of 2013, we’ll be celebrating our 125th Anniversary. We’re proud of our history as a southern based retailer and we want to introduce even more great brands to our assortment. Brands that represent the talented South and the modern, southern, style we deliver every day. And that’s where you come in.
Belk is looking to partner with Southern designers and add to our numerous collection of brands. Winning designs will be featured in
our 125th advertising campaign and sold at Belk.
DESIGNERS: Must currently live in our footprint of southern states or have a strong connection to the region.
DESIGNS: Winning designs will match our brand’s identity of Modern. Southern. Style. and be appropriate for Spring 2013.
CATEGORIES: Women’s, Men’s & Kids Apparel, Shoes & Women’s Accessories
All entries must include photographs of samples and be submitted as a pdf or jpeg. No fashion illustrations accepted. Limit entries to 10 items. Please prepare the entries in the manner outlined below:
1. Provide separate hard copy outputs of each look no larger than 11×14. Please label each output with your name and contact information in the upper right corner on the back.
2. Provide a CD containing electronic files of each look. Please label the CD with your name and contact information written in permanent marker.
3. Provide a resume and one paragraph bio.
4. Provide a write-up as to why the looks you designed
are appropriate to the Belk brand.
5. Sign and complete entry form.
Entry Form can also be found at belk.com/southerndesigner
Submit your completed entries to Belk by May 1, 2012.
Please send to:
Arlene Goldstein, VP Trend Merchandising and Fashion Direction
2801 W. Tyvola Road, Charlotte, NC 28217
Finalists will be chosen by Belk’s panel of judges and notified by e-mail June 1, 2012. Finalists will be invited to Charlotte, NC to present to our panel of judges on July 20, 2012.
Showcase winners will be notified the week of August 6, 2012.
Winning designers will have the opportunity to become a Belk vendor partner featured in Select Belk stores and on Belk.com March – May 2013.
Winning designs will be featured in an advertising campaign for our
125th Anniversary Celebration.
All winning designs will be featured on our Facebook page and a favorite will be voted on by Belk’s 300,000+ Facebook fans.
Entries will be reviewed by a panel of Belk Senior Executives in Merchandising, Marketing and Fashion Direction.
Go to: belk.com/southerndesigner for an inspirational look at our brand and how we bring modern, southern style to life. Belk_Southern designers challenge_rev5_031912
To satisfy the modern Southern lifestyle like no one else, so that our customers get the fashion they desire and the value they deserve.
For the modern Southern woman to count on Belk first. For her, for her family, for life.
Modern. Southern. Style.
MAY 2: SAGA FURS
Fur Design Competition 2012
Designers today must define their own original marks thought conceptual and material innovation. Within the context of fashion, newness will only come from challenging how things are done. How it is made? How it is finished? How it is treated? How is it styled?
Fur-innovation challenges you to innovate with fur and other materials to design and potentially produce something that the world has never seen before.
Understand the history, craft and skill involved in designing but look to the future for inspiration. How can fur be propelled. What techniques can be explored to elevate it to a new level of luxury design?
To design a creative fur accessory that can be worn or used in a lifestyle setting from SAGA mink ®, Saga fox® or Saga Finnraccoon®.
Sketches, flats and diagrams should be submitted to Stephanie Thomas by Wednesday May 2nd.
A group of semi finalists will be selected to present their concepts to a panel of judges. A winner will be selected and the prize and details arranged.
The SAGA WINNER will receive an all expense paid trip including airfare and lodging to the Saga Design Centre in Vedbaek, Denmark. In August 2012, the winners will attend an AWARDS WINNERS seminar with a group of global design students. The weeklong seminar will be hands on introduction to designing and working with Saga furs.
SAGA FURS, “RESPONSIBLE LUXURTY”