NBAF Scholarship Update January 18, 2012Posted by SCAD Fashion Department in : Scholarships and Contests , trackback
M. Jack Anderson Emerging Talent Award
The award was established in honor of the late M. Jack Anderson, by his sister, Sandra Anderson Baccus. This award recognizes individuals who have distinguished themselves as cutting edge, creative and innovative fashion designers. Individuals selected to receive this award have excelled academically, mastered their particular fields of study, and are recognized as a dynamic emerging talent who possess leadership qualities in their personal life and professional aspirations.
Mr. Anderson possessed a brilliant mind, a caring heart and a competitive spirit. He was a great scholar, a graduate of MIT and Harvard; he loved sports and combined his brilliant mind with his charming personality to be successful in business and in his personal life. Mr. Anderson was devoted to his family, his friends and his community. He loved arts supporting the Austin Symphony and was an avid collector of African American art throughout his life. The award honors the life and legacy of Mr. Anderson and provides tangible recognition to emerging talent.
The honoree(s) will be announced at the Fine Art + Fashion event on March 15, 2012, at Neiman Marcus. Ms. Baccus, Chair Emeritus of Fine Art + Fashion, will present the M. Jack Anderson Emerging Talent Awards along with a $3000 honorarium to each of the three (3) honorees. A distinguished panel of judges from the Atlanta region will select the honorees.
The 6th Annual Fine Art + Fashion event is chaired by two of Atlanta’s most distinguished couples, Su and Al Longman and Merry and Chris Carlos. Honorary Chairs are long-time supporters of NBAF and patrons of the arts, Charlene Crusoe-Ingram and Earnest Ingram.
The award is open to all students who are:
- Currently enrolled in the accredited college or university fashion design program at Clark Atlanta University or the Savannah College of Art and Design.
- A student in good standing in an accredited college or university fashion design program.
- Possess leadership qualities in their personal life and professional aspirations.
For this project, each applicant must:
- Submit complete package online, word document, with design image attached in high resolution (300+ dpi). Include a brief biography of yourself and current photograph (high resolution). Email your application to Jason Bunin firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20th.
- Select one (1) design to create: day, evening or wild card.
- Initial design application can be a fully rendered sketch with fabric samples and flats or the final garment. Initial design application is due January 23rd, by 5 pm.
- Respond to all of the following questions: 1200 words maximum.
- What is your design philosophy?
- For your design choice, what prompted your selection?
- Describe (in detail) your design elements, fabric, construction and
- style statement.
- What or who influenced your decision to enter design school?
- What are your career aspirations?
- If you were selected to receive this award, how would you use the honorarium?
- All designers will present in person to the panel of judges, February 19, 2012, beginning at 9:00 am, Neiman Marcus, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Each emerging designer will be given a time slot to present. Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your presentation time.
- Models are to arrive with hair and make-up complete. If your model needs to dress at the venue, you will want to make that adjustment in your arrival time.
- Participating applicants who arrive late will be disqualified.
- You will have five (5) minutes to make your presentation to the panel of judges. The judges will have 10 minutes to ask questions and view your design.
January 23rd, 2012 – Your submission must be sent to me for approval by 5PM. It must include your artist statement,self pics, garment design sketches, photographs.
February 1st, 2012- Your REVISED student artist statement is due in my mailbox in .doc format with your name in file i.e. j_brown_NBAF.doc along with any new images, self pics, etc.
*If you do not have anyone to photograph your garment on a model, we will arrange a date with photographer to photograph all design submissions.