The goal of our Jack and Jill project was to tell the story of Jack and Jill in a new, “not childish” way. My group was me, Rabecca, and Tara. Tara came up with the idea of using chakras from yoga to tell the story, because the 7th chakra is the crown. I liked the idea because I thought it was very original and I knew no one else would have it. I thought our project turned out well, however I wish we had displayed it differently because the white background was not as helpful as I originally thought. I really liked using Rabecca’s idea of the yin yang symbol to show Jack and Jill and also how the different chakras snaked around the curves in the yin yang symbol. We used Tara’s pretty, colorful inks to show the shades of the chakras and I really liked our use of color even though it was a risk we took. Our division of jobs was even: Tara and I did the inking, but she did a lot of it while I was tracing Rabecca’s drawings with a black pen. Rabecca drew the designs onto the squares, since Tara and I both admitted we weren’t the best at drawing!
I really enjoyed the sound map project and I thought making myself sit in the same place for one hour was peaceful. I heard a lot of the same noises that I am sure everyone else heard:cars going by and sirens. I wanted to emphasize the sounds that were not cars, such as bike tires screeching, doors slamming shut, keys jangling, and a couple kissing. I heard these sounds from sitting on a public bus bench. I considered finding another spot further away from our classroom building, but I enjoyed my view and thought that the sounds coming from the beauty supply store behind the bench were interesting (customers chatting, keys jangling, and a door shutting). To display the sounds I heard, I decided to make a collage. I used cars in the left corner to display my view from my bench and also the backdrop my sounds were against. The bikes were across the street from me on the corner. The keys were jangling directly behind me. For the rest of the collage, I used clouds, brick walls, trees, and concrete to show the environment I was in, and also what the sound waves were going against. I also found a picture of a google map to show what my area might look like from above. My project ended up emphasizing the blues and greys and greens in my surroundings, but I think the sounds I chose to emphasize were still visible.
For this project, we had to describe words in black boxes. I displayed tension by putting binder clips on top of each other and I showed congestion and bold lines by placing shapes trying to get into a small funnel. The word playful reminds me of childhood and playgrounds, so I drew a hopscotch board. I displayed increase and order by drawing rulers that increase in height. Rulers to me are essential to order since I have gotten to SCAD. For my black boxes, I used my black construction paper to place the drawings and objects on top of.
For this assignment, I chose to focus on unexpected pattern and color. I also focused on the color green, which might seem unoriginal but I wanted to take pictures of it because of the season. Green is not always an expected color in the fall, especially October. It is also the color of nature, hope, and money. I found many different shades of the color on my walk, but my favorite was the kelly green brick staircase. The unexpected pattern on my walk was found through an indian rug hanging in a clothesline, painted smoke clouds on the side of a building, designs on doorway arches, and a colorful swoosh on the side of a Jeep. I really thought this exercise was relaxing and fun and also a new way to notice my surroundings.
For this project, we were challenged to draw shapes overlapping, or really a shape taking a bite out of another shape. This created an interesting design with a new perspective. Mine was created from overlapping circle with a random shape I drew that had a zig zag border. I created several different patterns and options by cutting up the paper tiles and placing them together and creating different patterns, but ultimately I chose the simplest one. I was going to do a more complicated pattern, but once I started filling it in with india ink on my practice run, I thought it was too filled in and did not bring enough attention to the actual pattern. I cannot show my final product as I did not think to take a picture before I gave it to a friend to hand in for me (Thank you, Sarah!!!) because I was sick last week! I definitely learned a lot with this project, especially how hard it is for me to use tracing paper! I am not sure why it gives me such difficulty. However, I was happy with my final product even though I think that next time I use India Ink my craftsmanship will hopefully be a little bit better! I will post a picture of my final product once I have it back!
Our first assignment was to create an interesting space out of lines. The sketches took me a while to complete because I was over thinking my design. I was trying to keep it simple, but it was hard for me not to start doodling in my boxes. Overall, I am happy with my project but I do not like my curved lines design. I think it could have been much more interesting now that I am really looking at it… My favorite use of lines was my diagonal design. The lines are all different lengths, but still look as if they could intersect each other. This project also taught me how sloppy something can look if you aren’t careful with your scissors and glue stick!