“Penny Arcade -Extra Credits – Gamifying Education”
“Penny Arcade -Extra Credits – Gamifying Education”. Penny Arcade – The Way Forward. N.p, n.s. Web. 24 Jan. 2013.
Flaws in the way we teach today: systemic flows which cover every subject.
Grading: We use a grading system that is de-motivational and set up a reinforcing feedback loop for failure.
Agency: Idea that they feel that they control their own destiny. Without agency is almost impossible to feel motivated. Agency help you to set more efficient goals for yourself.
External Motivators: We need learners to keep engage and learn voluntarily.
Solution: In games we learning that progress encourages progress. The human desire for deficiency is a better motivator than the fear of failure.
How to gamify learning
- Assignments make worth points. Progressing towards level.
- Methodology doesn’t leave the students in a place where they just give up.
- Give kids skills as they level. Pickable powers as they level.
- Reward System to rule for one another. Encourage student to work with camaraderie and as a team
- Game teach us that different choices have different accounts and we control the choices that we make.
- Information you want to learn as the pieces that unlock the next section of the game. In the search for this information they will learn about tangible related topics.
- Key: make schooling more magical and a sense of mystery.
- ARG is about communal solution and information scouting.
- Unlock spread out, so the learners can share ideas and learn.
- Encourage curiosity (benefit)
Examples of ARG:
i <3 bees