For the map project I really wasn’t sure where we would all go. Because we were suppose to do something creative to our map I decided I would document each step with video as I went along the path of destruction.
After scratching, stapling,drawing bike routes, running over with a bike, using as a doormat, inking, crumpling, steel wooling,spraying, enflamed steal wooling, burning it and dousing it in water, my map was pretty destroyed.
Before we got the project to create something out of it my friends and I joked that we would have to put the map back together how it was. Once we got the project I thought further along that idea and decided to make a backwards video so that that map would appear to be fixed by the end. I edited it in the order that I did each thing and then reversed the sequence as a whole.
When I made this sequence I began to notice the sounds rather than the visuals and thought of a new idea that was much more exciting and challenging.
By using various sounds from each clip I created a beat adding a layer of sound each time. After hours of timing and audio editing I went to work on the visual aspect.
All of the video and sound layers at the end of production.
I sketched out several layouts that would be able to incorporate each layer of corresponding audio with it’s visual. I attempted to create layouts that would emphasize each new sound as it entered the mix.
I tried Many different layouts, some I stuck with others I modified. Also written are many of the coordinate numbers to place each clip properly on the canvas.
I was very happy with the class’ response to the piece which was limited but positive; people said they love it and that it was music. I was glad to hear this having very little musical experience. I pretty much created this piece by banging a beat out on the desk with my hand than imagining what sound to add next based on what I had at my disponsal. The only things I recorded after the initial destruction of the map was the ball spinning in the spray can and the sound of the spray because the original spray was too far away from the camera mic to be audible. I had a lot of fun playing around with this project overall and will probaly try to recreate it in the future on my own.