Savanijam, our annual 24-hour animation competition, is happening on January 18th! Below are the Rules, Judges, and Prizes for this years event. Past entries can be viewed on our Youtube Channel!
Any teams planning on entering are encouraged to email our secretary at email@example.com to pre-register!
Savanijam is an animation competition hosted by SCAD’s Contemporary Animation Society (CAS) where teams of up to three have 24 hours to complete an animation based on a given theme.
- The competition runs from 5PM on Friday, January 18th until 5PM on Saturday, January 19th.
- The theme will be announced in Montgomery Room 311 at 5PM EXACTLY. Teams will then have 24 hours to complete their entries.
- Teams may enter late but will not have an extension on their due time.
- Teams that complete their entries early are allowed to leave once they’ve been turned in
- Teams that leave in the middle of the competition WITHOUT finishing their entries will be DISQUALIFIED.
- There will be a Collaboration space open on the I-Drive for contestants which will act as the Online Submission Box. Contestants will be added to it as they sign in.
- There is an entry fee of $5 per person, which will go towards buying all competitors pizza on Friday evening.
- Teams of up to 3 are allowed to enter
- No one may be on more than one team
- Registration is open to people of all majors, regardless of whether they are members of CAS.
- This year, Teams are allowed to leave the building under the following conditions:
- One member of the team must ALWAYS be present in Montgomery Hall until their entry is finished
- Teams MUST check out with a CAS officer before leaving
- Teams may ONLY leave to get food, and for no other reason. For example, NO team member can leave to go home and sleep. That invalidates the competition. Only quick breaks for food or coffee will be allowed.
- For the reasons stated above, there will only be a small allowance time given for the trip. Please remember this is a 24 hour competition and you need to be able to finish within that time.
- It is encouraged that instead of leaving, teams bring snacks with them ahead of time or ask friends to drop off food or drink.
- CAS will be providing breakfast on Saturday morning. We will also sponsor a late night trip on Friday to McDonalds or Parkers depending on how much interest there is.
- Students completing their animations in the Stop Motion or CG mediums are allowed to bring in pre-made or downloaded models and rigs for their characters. 2D animators are allowed to bring in pre-rigged Flash or Toonboom puppets as well.
- CG animators are advised to plan for render time as we will not allow extra time after the deadline to render. This also applies to exporting from any other software.
- There is no minimum required length for your entry; we just expect it to be “finished.”
- Throughout the competition, CAS officers will be available to answer any questions or concerns. We will also have a short demonstration on how to export your final entry.
- Final entries should use the naming convention “Team#_title_final” and be submitted to the “FINAL ENTRIES” folder in the Savanijam Collaboration space.
- Do NOT put any team member’s name in the file name. Judging is anonymous. CAS will keep track of Team Numbers and members.
- Any files not submitted in the above convention will not be considered
- Contestants are not allowed to attend judging. Winners will be announced at the following CAS meeting on Thursday, January 24th.
Judges This year are:
Animation Chair, Professor Jeremy Moorshead
Animation Professor John Webber
Director of Animation at Aardman Studios, Luis Cook
From the Animation Department:
1st place: $300 SCAD Cash
2nd place: $200 SCAD Cash
3rd place: $100 SCAD Cash
From Contemporary Animation Society: TBA Prize Packages
Winning teams of 2 or 3 will have to divide the prizes amongst themselves.