Welcome back to my blog!
Be warned, you are about to continue on a journey of epic proportions. And by epic, I mean not exactly that exciting.
Alright! Time to delve into the works of Britty and repetition on a grid.
Let’s start with sketches. I’m sorry if the quality is bad, it’s hard to capture pencil on paper.
As you can see, I was having some difficulty coming up with an interesting shape. I think a lot of that trouble was that every shape that thought of that might be interesting, I felt like someone else might have thought of it. But I should know it’s very very hard to come up with exact designs. I might have over simplified my designs, but I kinda feel like that’s my thing and it works for me. It’s not very risky, but it pulls in attention with simplicity.
Here is the final layout I came up with for my motif and the base for my inking plan. It isn’t terribly interesting, but it took a lot of work, let me tell you.
Next we have my inking plans. As you can see below, I spent a lot more effort than I should have, but I really got into it and I wanted to see all of my options. Again, my ideas are pretty boring and I could have tried some other things, but I tend to play it safe.
As you will see below I ended up going with the first inking plan.
I ended up going last for critique, so I hope that meant that I got a lot of good critiques. Here they are.
- From far away it has good craftsmanship
- Liked how the shapes make up another shape
- Liked the repetitiveness
- Like how the circles line up, but the lines don’t
- Not the most complex motif, but what was done with it looks nice
- Maybe put more lines into the motif?
- It took a while to find the diamonds, the more you look at it, the more you find the lines
- Your eyes move around the piece because of the diamonds
- The design feels like it is a design on top of another design
- The stretch down the right side made people uncomfortable
- Maybe the design would have worked with a one inch by one inch?
- The right side strip could be at the bottom
I definitely pulled from the critique that I need to make more risks and make more mistakes. I’m very safe about most everything.
I really enjoyed this project, even though I felt like I approached it from a more convention angle. I approached it with the mindset that it was a motif on a grid, and that lends itself to pattern. I really like pattern and seeing how I can make them interesting.
I hope that I obviously get to improve, and that my work was at least a little bit enjoyable.
As always, have a fantastic day!