For this class assignment, we had to take black squares to convey the following ideas.
Archive for February, 2013
I went with the final because I thought visually, it could represent two different ideas. At the top it kind of resembles rain coming down to earth, but the bottom shows what could be the process of coal turning into diamond. I didn’t want it to be too minimalist, but at the same time I didn’t want it to be busy just for the sake of it looking like it took a lot of work (example: my second inked plan, the ugly sweater). Unfortunately, I didn’t get any critique notes for this one because I turned it in late. So, if anyone wants to give me their critique points on this piece, please feel free to leave a comment.
I traced the grid and saw varying sizes of diamond shapes, so I wanted to outline them and color in some just to mess around and see how it would look. I also saw rows of X’s, but I left them alone for the first inked plan. I thought the first one looked okay, but lacked variety.
The second design I threw in the rows of X’s along with the smaller diamonds. I felt the end result looked like an ugly sweater pattern. While that would be humorous, it probably isn’t something I’d wanna turn in. Plus there’s no real focal point, which is why I colored in the center design, but it just looks weird and out of place there.
For the third design, I tried to combine the first and second to see if I could create some kind of harmony, and I think I did. I’ll explain the thought process in the final design post next.
For the second class project, we had to create either a 1 or 2 inch motif to insert into a 10 x 10 inch grid in order to create a repetitive and creative pattern. The motif had to be a shape that would pierce through a circle. The shape I ended up choosing was a star because I thought it would create some interesting options.
The next step was thinking up 5 different design options for the grid. Basically, I had them all put in standing order, all upside down, opposite every square, laying on their sides with each row opposite, and finally with the 2 rows touching (the one I went with).