Revised Thesis Statement:
The mechanics of games and their creative interfaces are useful learning tools to promote positive communicative and behavioral skills in Autistic users.
Visual Component Description:
For the visual component, I will conduct research on interfaces that will address the learning obstacles and challenges of those with Autism. Through my research I will create a web based prototype that will be support my thesis by showing an interface that uses stimulus equivalence and fading to teach sight words to Autistic users. I will use Adobe Flash Professional and Action Script 3.0 to create the prototype.
Visual Component Action Plan (The following steps will be done while enrolled in ITGM755):
The following steps will be done to create the visual component:
- Schedule meeting times with Behavioral Specialist:
Consistent meeting times will be used to, discuss and research appropriate learning methods; establish Sensory design obstacles such as sounds, bright colors, and flashing and blinking lights; create a list of visual prompts; conduct research on input devices that will enable self-stimulatory behaviors, repetition and the allowance for continuous manipulation of the interface; and develop overall concept and a
- Hosting / Programming Research:Setup hosting service that will accommodate web application needs. Consider future advancements in app when choosing a hosting service. Research best HTML and Action Script 3.0 coding techniques to create web application.
- Sketch and Story Board:Sketch and Story board example of interfaces and meet with Behavioral Specialist to refine and test cognition. Create a site map to assist in defining interface mapping. Choose an appropriate interface.
- Visualization Tools and Survey Testing:Create paper prototype and survey. Conduct a survey to test Cognition, User Experience, and Navigation. Prototype will be tested by the behavioral specialist.
- Survey Results / Refinements:
Based on the results of the survey, make appropriate changes, and create a working online wireframe to test Interface and technical aspects of the system. Testing will be conducted by the behavioral specialist and his clients. An online survey will capture
- Refinements:Based on captured data make the appropriate updates and changes, and meet with behavioral specialist for further recommendations.
- Create Prototype:Once appropriate updates and changes have been done, start the production of a
working prototype. Use appropriate research coding methods.
- Prototype Testing / Refined:Prototype will be fully tested by behavioral specialist and his clients. Testing will be video recorded to show proof of success.
- Presentation ITGM765 Thesis Review:
Present research and visual component:
1. Thesis Introduction / Statement / Influences
2. Visual component description, Sketches and Story Boards
3. Working Prototype
- User will be able to select a library of 6 visual prompts
- Users will be able to use interface to simulate stimulus equivalence and fading to learn site words.