Second big project! For this project we had a series of steps.
First, we took two shapes and had one take a bite, chomp!, out of the other. I chose a star and a circle.
Second, we played with how we would place this motif in either a 1×1 or 2×2 inch square. I went with this in 1×1 squares.
Third, we came up with 5 different designs for a 10×10 grid. These were my experiments. Oh, and we could move the motif around any way we wanted but in a way that flowed from box to box.
We glued our chosen one onto tracing paper.
Fourth, we came up with 3 inking plans for our design. This is what I came up with.
and transfered it to our white illustration board (cold pressed, by the way). Then we inked! Boy did I learn a lot this project! India Ink and I will never be friends during project time, but it was a good experience.
This is my final product.
I took a lot from my critiques and understand what I need to do better.
My craftsmanship was TERRIBLY off on the ink, as I had gray and lighter spots throughout. Lesson learned. In class, I thought, “I should’ve taped around my enclosed spaces!” >.< That didn’t help then, of course, but I’ll have it for next time. Also, my design had no exact focal point for the eye to go to, and no flow for the eye to follow. Even I now find it visually unappealing! I went to0 random with the placemanet of my inked shapes and was looking more to have a flow of negative space to guide the eye versus flow of shapes for the eye to follow.
To doing better next time!